Since giving up gluten, one of the things I miss most is a good sandwich! I know, I know, there are lots of gluten free options, but I personally tend not to like them. When I’m out and about, I usually opt for some sort of salad, so my life tends to be virtually sandwich-less.( Insert sad face here.)
A couple of weeks ago, I went to a place called “Lenny’s” with a friend. They feature a make your own salad bar, and lots of yummy sandwiches and wraps. I ordered a salad, but my friend ordered a gorgeous veggie sandwich. It looked amazing. I envied each bite she took! Three weeks later, I was still thinking about that amazing sandwich.
I knew that I wanted to create a “bread-less” version of a sandwich. I wanted it to boast beautiful colors, satisfying textures, and complimentary flavors!
Clearly, I am obsessed with replacing grains with cauliflower. I used my Cauliflower Crust Pizza recipe, and simply formed thick square patties. Out came BREAD!!! Now, I’m not completely delusional. I know that cauliflower bread isn’t exactly like real bread. That being said, it totally satisfied my craving, and enabled me to create exactly what I wanted: A LOADED veggie sandwich!!!
Cauliflower Bread Veggie Sandwich With Avocado Spread
- 2 cups riced cauliflower
- ¼ cup egg whites (about 3 eggwhites)
- ¼ cup flour of choice
- 2 TBS nutritional yeast (or parmcheese)
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ avocado mashed
- 1 TBS Plain coconut milk yogurt(or yogurt of choice)
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- optional: hot sauce
- Romaine Lettuce
- Bell Pepper Sliced
- Tomato Sliced
- Radish Sliced Thin
- Carrots Julienned (Or Use AVeggie Peeler)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- In a bowl, combine all bread ingredients, stir well
- On a sprayed baking sheet, create bread like shapes, make sure they are somewhat thick (about 1 cup per slice)
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the edges have browned and the center is cooked through
- Remove from oven and allow tocool
- In a small bowl, mash avocado, and combine remaining avocado spread ingredients. Mix well
- Once bread has cooled, spread avocado mixture on one slice, top with desired veggies, top with second slice of breadEnjoy!
There you have it! A bread-less sandwich! I don’t think my obsessed with cauliflower bread is going to go away any time soon, but I’m not mad about it 🙂