I think I am about to share my favorite creation EVER. Bold statement? Perhaps, but I can say with 100% confidence that these little guys are absolutely amazing.
I remember being a kid, and getting so excited when pizza bagels were being served for lunch at school. I used to drool over that thick doughy bagel, tangy sauce, and melty cheese… Ok, maybe I still do. I mean, pizza bagels combine Pizza, and Bagels… the two greatest foods of life! If I could eat pizza bagels every single day, I would. Thankfully, with this recipe, if I really wanted to I could!
This recipe utilizes the oh so diverse cauliflower. I think I was most impressed with the texture of these. The bagels came out thick, and chewy! I especially loved that I could eat these with my hands. Often times, cauliflower crust has to be eaten with a fork and knife because the crust falls apart. Even after taking a bite, these pizza bagels totally held up! SUCCESS!!
Another amazing thing about these pizza bagels, is that they are still delicious the next day. I made them last night, and put the left overs in the fridge. My mom came over today and I was so excited to share my creation with her (she too, is a pizza bagel lover). I popped them in the microwave for about a minute and they came out perfect! I think they would be even better re-heated in the oven, but the important part is that they didn’t get mushy over night, or after re-heating. These things are magic. They are magic pizza bagels.
Cauliflower Crust Pizza Bagels
- 2 cups riced cauliflower (about ½ head cauliflower)
- ½ TBS chia
- 2 egg whites (see note for vegan option)
- ¼ cup quinoa flour (or flour of choice)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp fennel
- ½ tsp basil
- ½ tsp parsley
- 1 TBS nutritional yeast
- Toppings for pizza: sauce of choice
- cheese of choice (I use galaxy brand rice cheese)
- Pre-head oven to 450 degrees
- Break cauliflower into florets
- Lightly blend until you get a “rice like” consistency-(makes about 2 cups)
- Using a cheese cloth or a dish towel, squeeze excess water from cauliflower
- Transfer to a bowl and combine remaining crust ingredients
- Spray a doughnut tin with non stick spray (see note if you don't have one) and fill with crust mixture, flattening the top down
- Bake for about 30 minutes (the edges will have turned brown)
- Remove from oven and add your favorite sauce and toppings
- Put back in the oven for about 5-10 minutes.ENJOY!
Hope you’re all having a fantastic day! If you need me, I’ll be in my kitchen making mass amounts of pizza bagels.