Good morning! Yup, I’m writing this post at exactly 9:23 am on Tuesday morning. Often times, I like to write my posts while enjoying my breakfast and morning coffee. “Kelly and Michael” are chatting in the background and I am starting my day with a big bowl of Blueberry Pie Overnight Oats!
Well, now that I’ve confessed that I’m sitting in my PJ’s, I’ll get on with my ramblings!
I bought a spaghetti squash a couple of weeks ago (exciting I know). Never tried spaghetti squash? The stuff is awesome. When you bake this sort of squash, the insides turn into little spaghetti like threads! It is a great veggie replacement for traditional pastas, or if you’re ever wanting to try something different from Zucchini Pasta.
note: I LOVE my zucchini pasta, and they will ALWAYS have a very special place in my heart.
Ok, so this is seriously how this recipe came to life:
Synthia’s thoughts: I should use my spaghetti squash… My spaghetti squash is sitting right next to a pie plate… I should make a crust using my spaghetti squash…I will call it “spaghetti squash crust pie”
Deep I know, but sometimes our most random ideas lead to the most magical outcomes.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- ¼ cup boxed egg white (or 2 egg whites)
- 2 TBS quinoa flour
- 1 tsp dried basil, oregano, and garlic powder
- mushrooms sliced thin
- zucchini sliced thin
- baby spinach
- 1 cup tomato sauce of choice
- ⅓ cup cheese of choice (I used 2 slices of galaxy brand rice cheese)
- preheat oven to 450 degrees- spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray
- cut spaghetti squash in half and lay flat side down on sheet
- bake for about 30-35 min or until soft and slightly browned-remove from oven-leave heat on
- scoop out seeds and using a fork, scrape squash out into a separate bowl
- Add flour, egg white, basil, oregano and garlic powder-Combine completely
- spread squash mixture out in a pie dish- bake for about 25 min or until slightly browned and solid
- Remove from oven (leave heat on). Add a layer of sauce, spinach, mushroom and zucchini, and top with cheese
- Place back in oven for another 20-25 minutes
- allow to cool and ENJOY!