My favorite meal of the day is breakfast. I love starting my morning with something healthy that I know will give me the energy I need to fuel my day. Normally I choose a bowl of Overnight Blueberry Quinoa or Buckwheat Groats. I tend to stay away from store-bought cereals because most are loaded with added sugar. When we eat them, our blood sugar levels sky-rocket and then crash, leaving us tired, foggy, and hungry.
1 tsp=4 grams of sugar
This may not seem like a ton, but when there are 16 grams of added sugar to a product (ex: 1 cup of Raisin Bran), it’s like spooning an extra 4 teaspoons of sugar onto your food! Wondering what 4 teaspoons looks like? Here ya go:
I’ve had people ask me about certain granola products. Personally, I have always loved granola! I adore the texture, sweetness, and crunch. I mean common, who doesn’t love granola?! Some brands are a little bit better than others, but unfortunately, most of them still pack in a decent amount of added sugar.
Now I’m not unrealistic. I know eating a little bit of sugar from time to time is just fine (we have to also enjoy ourselves!). That being said, I try to avoid unnecessary added sugar as much as possible so that I can indulge a bit at other times (chocolate anyone?!). My solution? MAKE YOUR OWN!!!
Granola is super easy to make, and it’s totally customizable! If you love pecans, add them! If you are cacao nib obsessed, go for it! You can add or omit just about any ingredient and create a deliciously satisfying and HEALTHY granola.
I knew that I not only wanted my granola to be low sugar, but gluten-free and high in protein as well. This granola will not only come in handy as a great morning breakfast, but is also the perfect “pick me up” mid-day snack! It’s also RIDICULOUSLY yummy…:)
- DRY INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- ½ cup raw buckwheat graots
- ½ cooked quinoa
- ½ cup pecans chopped
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
- 3 TBS raisins
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 3 TBS flax meal
- 3 TBS cacao nibs
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 3 TBS hemp seed hearts
- 3 TBS protein powder (I use Nutribiotic Vanilla Rice Protein)
- 2-3 packets stevia (or sweetener of choice)
- WET INGREDIENTS
- 3 tsp honey (*sub agave to make vegan)
- 3 TBS nut butter of choice (I used Lower Calorie Pumpkin Pecan Butter)
- 1 large banana sliced
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray
- In a large Bowl, Combine all Dry Ingredients, mixing completely
- In a small bowl, microwave wet ingredients (except vanilla extract) for 1 min
- Pour wet ingredients over dry (adding vanilla) stir and mix completely *the mixture will be dry at first, continue to mix and it will all get coated*
- Transfer contents to baking sheet, spreading out the mixture
- bake for about 30 minutes, stirring about half way through
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for about ½ hour
So get crazy in the kitchen! Add your granola to yogurt, Make a Chia Seed Pudding Parfait, get creative with a Smoothie Bowl, or simply enjoy it with your favorite milk. Add whatever ingredients you love, and enjoy this homemade granola knowing that you aren’t going to have any of those nasty sugar crashes!