I’m a breakfast kinda girl. The moment I wake up, I walk into the kitchen, put on a pot of coffee, and prepare my breakfast. If I know I’ve got things to do in the morning, I will wake up extra early just to enjoy this ritual. Breakfast time is me time. It is time to wake up, appreciate the day, and get my body prepared for what’s to come!
Lately, I have been really into buckwheat groats. They are naturally gluten-free, and are easily digestible. I find that my tummy is happy and satisfied when I start my day with a yummy bowl of groats. My absolute favorite are “overnight” (gr)oats. I love the way the flavors combine and blend together to create a bowl of fruity goodness!
Yesterday, while preparing my overnight (gr)oats, I randomly threw a few blueberries into the pot, just to see what would happen. The outcome was a pot of beautiful purple breakfast grains! I combined them in a mason jar with sliced strawberries, banana, blackberries, SoDelicious coconut milk yogurt, and pistachios. I put them in the fridge, got into bed, and dreamed of the yummy breakfast that awaited me.
The verdict? They were as delicious as I imagined they would be.
- ⅓ cup buckwheat groats (or rolled oats)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- ½ TBS hemp seeds
- 1 TBS pistachio nuts (or nuts of choice)
- 1 packet stevia
- ½ banana sliced
- 4 strawberries sliced
- 7 blackberries
- ⅓ cup blueberries
- additional 1/4 cup blueberries
- ¼ cup coconut milk yogurt (or yogurt of choice)
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- In a pot, bring one cup of water to a boil
- Add groats, chia seeds, stevia, cinnamon, and ⅓ cup blueberries, and turn heat to low
- Allow water to be absorbed
- Transfer to a large mason jar
- Add sliced banana, strawberries, black berries, additional blueberries, hemp seeds, pistachios and yogurt, mix well
- Store in the fridge of night.
- Enjoy in the morning cold, or heated up!
Hope you’re staying warm today!!! NYC is 1 degree. YUP… ONE DEGREE…. BRR!!!!