Yesterday I got an email that simply read “Hey, I was wondering what you eat for dinner when you’re not posting?” It made me realize that I rarely shine light on what I eat on a “normal” day.
So the short answer: I eat really simply. I use whatever ingredients I have in my apartment. That being said, I also tend to have the SAME ingredients on hand, which lends to a similar menu. While some people need lots of daily variety, I truly am a creature of habit, and find myself craving the same foods. I usually eat some version of a massaged kale salad most nights. I find that my body craves greens, healthy fats and proteins by the end of the day, and this simple salad provides my body with all of those!
Although I highlight lots of vegan recipes on my blog, I do enjoy a piece of fish from time to time. When my body is craving protein, I give it just that. For me, wild caught organic salmon is the perfect protein source. That being said, I believe that everyone’s body is different. That may mean that meat, eggs, or vegan sources of protein are best for you! I think it’s important to listen to your body, and nourish it with the best quality foods possible.
The best way to ensure that you’re eating healthy is being prepared. I always tell clients to cook once, and eat twice (or three times)! I make about two or three servings of salmon, and store it in the fridge so that I can reheat it for a quick dinner. I also make a big batch of quinoa at the beginning of the week to ensure that I always have my favorite grain ready to go!
So enough about me, here is a SIMPLE and SUPER quick “normal” meal that will leave you satisfied, energized and feeling healthy and happy!
- about 2-3 cups raw kale (de-stemmed and torn into bite sized pieces)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ¼-1/3 avocado
- ¼-1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 beet (raw or steamed) chopped
- 3 artichoke hearts chopped
- ¼ cucumber chopped
- ¼ red bell pepper chopped
- 1 TBS cooked quinoa
- 1 TBS raw buckwheat groats
- ½ TBS hemp seed hearts
- 1 TBS sunflower seeds
- 1 TBS raisins
- (I add all of it!)
- SIMPLE SALMON
- 4 oz salmon
- fresh herbs of choice (I use rosemary, basil, and chives) chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- ½ lemon sliced (4 small slices)
- pinch of salt and pepper
- In a bowl, combine avocado, olive oil and sea salt
- Using your hands, "massage" ingredient together, making sure that kale becomes soft and avocado is evenly distributed
- add remaining ingredients
- FOR THE SALMON
- Spray a pan with cooking spray
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over salmon
- Evenly distribute both the herbs and crushed garlic over the salmon
- Squeeze lemon over salmon (I usually throw the entire wedge into the pan)
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Turn flame to medium heat and cook through (for "medium" cooked.. about 4-5 min each side)
Simply leave off the salmon for a vegan dinner