One of the things I love most about being a blogger is the amazing community of people who I have been embraced by. The food blogger community is so incredibly kind and welcoming, and I am having a wonderful time finding my place in it!
A couple of weeks ago, the beautiful Lara over at B and D Baking and Design contacted me asking if I would be interested in baking and posting and photographing one of her recipes. As I scrolled through her blog, I of course had to say yes!! This girl makes such gorgeous food, and takes even more beautiful pictures!
I decided to re-create her chocolate chip pancake recipe, and of course, put my own Synthia twist on it. I was missing some ingredients, so I had to improvise. I wanted to create a sauce that would really enhance the flavor of the already chocolatey pancakes. I opened my pantry to find about 10 bottles of Magic Shell. Yea, the stuff that hardens when you put it on ice cream. That magic shell. My fiancé is obsessed with it! For Christmas, I literally bought him 14 bottles of the stuff. (They were all individually wrapped and put under the christmas tree… I thought it was hysterical.) Of course I won’t use magic shell because, well, who knows what that stuff is made of! I put on my thinking cap, and had a lightbulb moment.
Coconut oil. Coconut oil hardens when it’s cold. I would use coconut oil and melted chocolate chips to create a healthy, vegan magic shell to top Lara’s amazing pancakes!
vegan magic shell chocolate chip pancakes
…and there is the food porn folks. See how the Chocolate hardened over the strawberries. YEA… that’s good.
If you like this, check out Lara’s blog. She has lots of desserts and fun things to share!!
Vegan Magic Shell Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- ¼ cup gluten free flour (I used millet)
- ¼ cup coconut milk (or almond)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ ripe banana
- ¼ cup vegan dark chocolate chips
- FROZEN sliced strawberries *
- MAGIC SHELL TOPPING
- Equal parts coconut oil to chocolate chips/ 1TBS coconutoil: 1TBS Chocolate chips
- Mash banana in a bowl, add milk and mix completely until there are no lumps left
- Combine remaining ingredients (not the magic shell) and mix completely to create a batter
- Spray a pan with non-stick cooking spray
- spoon out batter into pan (you'll know pancakes are ready to flip when bubbles start to form)
- Flip and cook until golden brown
- Transfer pancakes to a plate and allow to cool
- Meanwhile, microwave ingredients for magic shell (1 TBS coconut oil and 1 TBS chocolate chips) for about 30 seconds. Stir and allow chocolate to melt.
- Construct your pancake stack adding optional strawberries between cakes. Top with magic shellENJOY!